Dr. M.V. Shetty College of Medical Lab Technology
Medical Lab Technology:
Medical Laboratory Technology is a vital part of health care processes involving investigation and intervention and is a profession with excellent prospects. The role of Medical Laboratory professionals is to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and control of diseases, thus forming a pivotal part of medical teams. The increased demand for laboratory investigation has resulted in the introduction of more specialized and sophisticated laboratory procedures including mechanization, automation and data processing. To keep abreast with these technological advances, a more professional background has become necessary for students entering the field of laboratory science, which is the sole purpose of our institution.
We follow the scheme and syllabus of the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science. The programme of study is of three and half years duration. The aim of bachelor of science in Medical Laboratory Technology is the preparation of trained Laboratory Technicians who can discharge the duties efficiently in clinical Laboratories. The practical classes for the students include laboratory postings in the respective departments. In addition to this for clinical experience, the students are trained by postings at Blood Bank of Government Wenlock Hospital and the Laboratory at Government Lady Goshen Hospital, Mangalore both of which are partially maintained by Dr.M.V.Shetty Trust.
Medical Lab Technology – B.Sc.:
Eligibility for Admission:
The college offers a degree programme in B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka. The Bachelors degree course in Medical Laboratory Technology was started in the year 1996.
1. Pass in PUC or 10+2 with PCB subjects or Pre- University course from a recognized board with Laboratory Technology as a vocational subject (VHSE of Kerala is eligible)
2. Candidates who have completed diploma in Medical Lab. Technology are eligible to be admitted to the II Year B.Sc. MLT through Lateral Entry System.
3. Candidates who have passed 10+2 (PUC or equivalent examination) in Arts, Commerce shall be eligible to join I B.Sc. MLT.
The annual intake for the course is 57 candidates (i.e. 50 + 07 SAARC Quota) in the First year. The annual intake for lateral entry is 05 candidates in the Second year.
Duration of the Programme:
1. The duration of the course shall be for a period of Three and Half years including Six months internship.
2. The duration of the course through lateral entry shall be for a period of Two and Half years including Six months internship.
Medium of Instruction
3. The medium of instruction and examination is in English.
Master in Medical Laboratory Techology – M.Sc.:
Is available in the following three branches:
The duration of the course shall be on full time basis for a period of two years from the commencement of the academic term.
A pass in B.Sc.MLT course from institution affiliated to RGUHS, or from other universities considered equivalent by RGUHS.
Candidates passing B.Sc.MLT through correspondence course shall not be eligible.
Selection shall be based on merit in the qualifying examination. The candidate has to choose the branch of his/her choice during the time of seat selection. No change of branch will be permitted once he/she get admitted.
Eligibility Certificate :
No candidate shall be admitted for the postgraduate degree course unless the candidate has obtained and produced the eligibility certificate issued by the university. The candidate has to make the application to the university with the following documents along with the prescribed fee.
1. Pass/degree certificate issued by the university
2. Marks cards of all the university examinations passed
3. Migration Certificate
4. Certificate of conduct
5. Proof of SC/ST or category I as the case may be
6. Candidates should obtain the eligibility certificate before the last date for admission as notified by the university.
7. A Candidate who has been admitted to post-graduate course should register his/her name in the university within a month of admission after paying the registration fee.
Medium of Instruction:
English shall be the medium of instruction for the subjects of study as well as for the Examination
– Collection , Transport , and processing of Clinical Specimens in Biochemistry, by Dr.Ashalatha Rao, Professor in Biochemistry, Fr.Muller Medical College, Mangalore.
– Collection , Transport , and processing of Clinical Specimens in Microbiology , by Dr.Krishna Prasad, Professor in Microbiology, Principal, K.S Hegde College of MLT.
– Collection , Transport , and processing of Clinical Specimens in Pathology, by Dr.Moksha R Rai, Professor in Pathology K.M.C, Mangalore in the year 2002.
2004- the topics and resource persons were:
– Cytological Sample Collection And FNAC by Dr.Reba Varghese (Associate Professor in Pathology in K.M.C, Mangalore
– Sterilization And Disposal Of Microbiological Waste by Dr.Subbannayya, Kotigadde (Prof. in Microbiology KMC , Mangalore)
– Automation Techniques in the Field of Biochemistry by Dr.Ashok Prbhu (Prof. Biochemistry KMC, Mangalore).
2006- the topics and resourse persons were:
– Quality Control in Microbiology Laboratory by Dr.Vijaya Kumar (Prof. & HOD Dept. of Microbiology, JSS Medical College , Mysore.
– Image Analysis of cervical Pap Smear by Dr.Nanda Kishore Alva (Asst.Prof. , Dept. of Pathology, MS Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore.
– Source & Control of Pre analytic Variation in Biochemistry Laboratory by Anita R Bijoor (Associate Prof. Dept of Biochemistry, St.John Medical College, Bangalore)
– Drug Resistance in bacteria, Isolated from Nosocomial Urinary tract infection by Ms.Beena Bentia D’souza (Lecturer in Microbiology, Dr.M.V.Shetty College, Mangalore.)
2009- the topics and resource persons were:
– An overview of Molecular diagnosis by Dr.Nanda Kishore Alva (Associate Prof. Dept. of Pathology, MS Ramaiah Medical College, Banglaore)
– Registration Certification and Accreditation of Medical testing Laboratories by Dr.Venkatesh , Principle Advisor Quality Council of India, Prof., Dept of Biochemistry , St.John Medical College, Bangalore.
2010- the topics and resource persons were:
– “Noscomial Infection” by Dr.Gopalkrishna Bhat, Associate Profeesor, Department of Microbiology, KMC, Mangalore
– “Automation and Quality Control in Clinical Chemistry” by Dr.Ashok Prabu, Associate Profesor, Department of Biochemsitry, KMC, Mangalore
– Flow Cytometry, Immunocyto- Chemical Diagnosis in Leukemia by Dr.Padma Shetty, Profesor, Department of Pathology, KSHEMA, Deralakatte, Mangalore
The topics and resource persons were
Beneficial Microbes in human health & Nutrition by Dr.K.R.Sridhar, Professor & Chairman, Department of Bio Sciences, Mangalore University, Mangala Gangothri
Healthy Eating habits-Mrs.Aruna Mallya, Dietician, KMC Hospitals, Mangalore
Chemiluminescence Technology- Dr.Shivashankara A.R., Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, FMMC, Mangalore
Universal Precautions in preventing transmission of infections agents in health care-Dr.Vimal Kumar Karnaker, Professor & HOD, Department of Microbiology, KSHEMA,Mangalore
The topics and resource persons were
Specimen Collection and Step wise approach of a Clinical laboratory from manual to fully automated by Dr.Arvind Rao Kedige,MD,Nova Meditech Diagnostics & research Centre, Mangalore.
Scope of MLT by Mrs.Remya S Nair, Lab Supervisor, Yenepoya Medical College Hospital Laboratory, Deralakatte, Mangalore.
Designing of a Fundamental Clinical Laboratory by Mr. Eric Christopher Lobo, Lecturer, department of Biochemsitry, Yenepoya University.
Bio Safety in Laboratory by Dr.Suchithra Shenoy, Assoc.Prof.Department of Microbiology, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
Co-curricula and extra curricula activities:
The Unit also conduct a 10 days of Special Camp every Year in which NSS Volunteers will perform Shramadhanan
College NSS unite had conducted a session on “Adolescent & Youth Health Issues by Dr.Vijaya Rao
Special Community oriented programmes conducted by the college:
For Admissions Contact:
Dr.M.V.Shetty Group of Colleges
Click to Submit your Inquiry
Dr. M.V. Shetty College of Medical Laboratory Technology