Dr. M.V. Shetty College of Medical Lab Technology
Medical Lab Technology:
Medical Laboratory Technology is a vital part of health care processes involving investigation and intervention and is a profession with excellent prospects. The role of Medical Laboratory professionals is to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and control of diseases, thus forming a pivotal part of medical teams. The increased demand for laboratory investigation has resulted in the introduction of more specialized and sophisticated laboratory procedures including mechanization, automation and data processing. To keep abreast with these technological advances, a more professional background has become necessary for students entering the field of laboratory science, which is the sole purpose of our institution.
We follow the scheme and syllabus of the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science. The programme of study is of three and half years duration. The aim of bachelor of science in Medical Laboratory Technology is the preparation of trained Laboratory Technicians who can discharge the duties efficiently in clinical Laboratories. The practical classes for the students include laboratory postings in the respective departments. In addition to this for clinical experience, the students are trained by postings at Blood Bank of Government Wenlock Hospital and the Laboratory at Government Lady Goshen Hospital, Mangalore both of which are run by Dr.M.V.Shetty Trust.
Medical Lab Technology – B.Sc.:
Eligibility for Admission:
The college offers a degree programme in B.Sc. Medical Laboratory Technology affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka. The Bachelors’ degree course in Medical Laboratory Technology was started in the year 1996.
1. Pass in PUC or 10+2 with PCB subjects or Pre- University course from a recognized board with Laboratory Technology as a vocational subject (VHSE of Kerala is eligible)
2. Candidates who have completed diploma in Medical Lab. Technology are eligible to be admitted to the II Year B.Sc. MLT through Lateral Entry System.
3. Candidates who have passed 10+2 (PUC or equivalent examination) in Arts, Commerce shall be eligible to join I B.Sc. MLT.
The annual intake for the course is 57 candidates (i.e. 50 + 07 SAARC Quota) in the First year. The annual intake for lateral entry is 05 candidates in the Second year.
Duration of the Programme:
1. The duration of the course shall be for a period of Three and Half years including Six months internship.
2. The duration of the course through lateral entry shall be for a period of Two and Half years including Six months internship.
Medium of Instruction
3. The medium of instruction and examination is in English.
Master in Medical Laboratory Techology – M.Sc.:
Is available in the following three branches:
The duration of the course shall be on full time basis for a period of two years from the commencement of the academic term.
A pass in B.Sc.MLT course from institution affiliated to RGUHS, or from other universities considered equivalent by RGUHS.
Candidates passing B.Sc.MLT through correspondence course shall not be eligible.
Selection shall be based on merit in the qualifying examination. The candidate has to choose the branch of his/her choice during the time of seat selection. No change of branch will be permitted once he/she get admitted.
Eligibility Certificate :
No candidate shall be admitted for the postgraduate degree course unless the candidate has obtained and produced the eligibility certificate issued by the university. The candidate has to make the application to the university with the following documents along with the prescribed fee.
1. Pass/degree certificate issued by the university
2. Marks cards of all the university examinations passed
3. Migration Certificate
4. Certificate of conduct
5. Proof of SC/ST or category – I as the case may be
6. Candidates should obtain the eligibility certificate before the last date for admission as notified by the university.
7. A Candidate who has been admitted to post-graduate course should register his/her name in the university within a month of admission after paying the registration fee.
Medium of Instruction:
English shall be the medium of instruction for the subjects of study as well as for the Examination
Students studying in different courses offered in the colleges managed by Dr. M.V. Shetty Memorial Trust have been provided with good facilities like Hostels for comfortable living, Transportation to commute from the hostels and clinics to the colleges, Sports and Games for recreation. The other facilities include a canteen, library and the computer centre. All these facilities are listed as follows:
Hostels Separate hostels are provided for boys and girls except for Dr. M. V. Shetty Institute of Technology. Hostel is compulsory for girls till the completion of their course. Hostel is compulsory for boys in the first year. Altogether there are six hostels maintained by the Trust accommodating about 900 students.
All the hostels have spacious rooms. Each room is attached with a bath and toilet and is occupied by three or two students and each student in a room is provided a cot, table and chair and an Almira.
All the hostel inmates are provide with breakfast, lunch and dinner.The Trust takes care to serve the students with hygienic food and to keep the kitchen and the dining halls clean and tidy. The concept of the Trust regarding the hostel is to make the student feel a home away from home.
Dr. M.V.Shetty Memorial Trust maintains a fleet of vehicles including several buses to transport students to their respective study centers and to their respective hostels. The transport facility is also provided to students and the staff of the colleges from different places of Mangalore and surrounding area. The buses are also provided to the students for University related works, fests and for sports and cultural competitions held in different colleges.
Sports and Games Facility
The Colleges managed by Dr. M.V.Shetty Memorial Trust has a Physical Education Department managed by the Director of Physical Education and provides Sports Facilities like shuttle badminton court, volley ball court. Indoor sports facilities for Table Tennis, Carrom and Chess are also provided. A Gymnasium and Conditioning Exercise Unit are provided in the Physical Education Department.
All these facilities are regularly used by the students and staff of the colleges to keep good health and fitness.
The students of the colleges managed by the Trust regularly participate in inter- collegiate tournaments in various sports and games events both within the University area and outside the University and won several prizes.The physical Education Department of the College regularly organizes Inter Collegiate competitions in various sports events and Inter College Tournaments in games events generally in the month of January every year. These competitions and tournaments are recognized by the affiliating Universities and involvement of students from many colleges are encouragement
The college Campus has a spacious Canteen facility for the benefit of staff and students of the colleges and it is run by an experienced Caterer of repute. The Canteen is having a modern kitchen equipped with facilities for hygienic food preparation.
Vegetarian and non vegetarian foods, soft drinks, ice creams and snacks are provided in the canteen at nominal cost. North Indian and South Indian dishes are also provided in the Canteen for the choice of students.
The college Library is spacious and is open to the students and staff of the college, who have library membership cards. Library has reading room with seating facilities in a comfortable ambiance and is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. during working days. Other facilities provided in the library are photocopy facility and information search facility which has been provided at the computer center. The library is equipped with about 6000 volumes of books related to the subjects thought in the different courses run in the colleges. The library also subscribes about 20 national and international journals. It also has about 500 back volumes of the journals.
The Computer Center was started in the year 1994 at the College Campus by the Trust and is named as Dr M.V.Shetty Trust Computer Center, to impart training programme on basic knowledge on computers and its applications to students, faculty and the administrative staff of the colleges run by the Trust.
The Computer Center has all the relevant software like HELINET Network System, MEDLINE and PUBMED databases, Organization website, MS-Office, Microsoft.NET, Visual Studio, Adobe Premier, Photoshop and different types of Statistical Packages. The Computer Center is being upgraded from time to time to provide the best possible computational infrastructure to the students and staff of the colleges.
The Center has more than 30 computers of which 20 of them are connected to the Network supported through BSNL Broad band connection to provide several services enhancing the academic programmes of both UG and PG students of the Colleges. A 256 Kbps Leased Line from BSNL is used for Internet facility. Some of the services provided by the Computer center are Internet browsing, Email services, digital versions of bibliographic databases, published papers and theses, internet searches on specific subjects. The Computer center also provides software for easy storage of internal marks and generation of certificates etc. The Center also maintains facilities for LCD projections for Journal Club Meetings, workshops, seminars and conferences.
The ATM of the Corporation Bank is housed in the premises of the building of Dr. M.V.Shetty Trust Colleges at Vidayanagar, Kavoor, Mangalore. This facility can be availed by the student and staff of the colleges.
National Service Scheme
National Service Scheme Several units have been sanctioned to various colleges managed by Dr. M.V.Shetty Memorial Trust by the Government of Karnataka through the affiliated Universities. This scheme provided an opportunity to the students to participate in the service activities. The college has adopted one of the villages close to the campus under this scheme and students are striving for an all-round development of this village.
Seminars, Training classes:
1. The College had conducted Seminar on “Collection , Transport , and processing of Clinical Specimen’s “ by Dr.Ashalatha Rao, Prof. in Biochemistry, Fr.Muller Medical College, Mangalore
2. In the year of 2004 College had conducted Seminar on “Cytological Sample Collection And FNAC” by Dr.Reba Varghese (Associate Professor in Pathology in K.M.C, Mangalore
3. In the year of 2006 the Seminar was conducted on following topics:
“ Image Analysis of cervical Pap Smear “ by Dr.Nanda Kishore Alva (Asst.Prof. , Dept. of Pathology, MS Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore.
4. In 2009 College had conducted “Eureka-09” ….. A path towards Excellence. The topics were “ An overview of Molecular diagnosis” by Dr.Nanda Kishore Alva (Associate Prof. Dept. of Pathology, MS Ramaiah Medical College, Banglaore)
5. In the year of 2003 our students have attended a workshop on “Quality Control in Laboratory” which was conducted by KMC, Mangalore.
6. Our students have attended a workshop “Explore” conducted by Dept. of Medical Laboratory Technology , College of Allied Health Science , Manipal in accompany with Staffs in the year of 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008.
7. Our faculty members and students have attended “28th World Congress of Biomedical Laboratory Science” in Delhi on August 2008.
8. The guest Lecture was conducted by the college in the year 2008. The topics were Differential diagnosis of Jaundice by Dr.Ullas Kamath , Deputy Registrar, Manipal University.
9. How to study by Dr. Krishnaprasad (HOD Microbiology and principal MLT, KSHEMA
10. Blood Transfusion by Dr.Jayaprakash , HOD Pathology, Principal MLT, Fr.Muller Meical College, Mangalore.
11.Conducted Seminar on 05-02-2010 . Topics were:
a) “Noscomial Infection” by Dr.Goplakrishna Bhat
b) “Automation and Quality Control in Clinical Chemistry ” by Dr.Ashok Prabhu
c) Flow Cytometry,Immunocyto-Chemical Diagnosis in Leukemia by Dr.Padma Shetty
Co-curricula and extra curricula activities:
The Unit also conduct a 10 days of Special Camp every Year in which NSS Volunteers will perform “Shramadhanan”
College NSS unite had conducted a session on “Adolescent & Youth Health Issues” by Dr.Vijaya Rao
Special Community oriented programmes conducted by the college:
For Admissions Contact:
Dr.M.V.Shetty Group of Colleges
Click to Submit your Inquiry
Dr. M.V. Shetty College of Medical Laboratory Technology